Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Amen. Actions and Consequences

Costa-Gavras Amen. is a thought-provoking film that combines political thriller, suspense and expose. Amen, translated in Hebrew as So be it, deals with three significant qualitys, some(prenominal) real and fancied, who act out different moral or honor subject principles. These characters, preceptor Riccardo Fontana, Kurt Gerstein and pontiff Pius xii, volunteer the audience with different perspectives on the predicament about the genocide of millions of Jews during foundation War II, commonly known as the Holocaust.By reflecting on the lives, actions or personalities of these three characters, we would understand the ethical ch altogetherenges, ethical principles and actions they have faced, considered and performed. Body stimulate Riccardo Fontana, compete by Mathleu Kassovitz, is a junior(a) diplomat and an idealistic Jesuit priest. baffle Riccardo Fontana learned the life and sufferings of the Jews in the Nazi assiduity camps (through the cooperate of Kurt Ger stein). He also learned that the American government inquired about the genocide of Jews through a allowter turn to at the Vatican.He endeavoured or tried his best to spirited the Vatican about the genocide of Jews in the Nazi concentration camps. He thought that his familial connections with the local anaesthetic priests and at the Vatican would bring in results or considerations from the Pope. He also thought that by directly stating the problems at the Nazi concentration camps to the Pope, he would be able to bring light to the problem and have the Pope do his part by making a public statement denounce the actions of the Nazis.However, in the end, he was not able to have the support of the Vatican. He lost his life drive Riccardo Fontana died a martyr. Father Riccardo Fontana is a fictional character in the movie however, I believe that he symbolizes the be prison terms life of Pope Pius cardinal. As a morally proper(ip)eous priest, I believe that he wanted to ease the pain or sufferings of the Jews. As a diplomat, I believe that he wanted to do things in a tranquilityful and legal manner. I also think Father Riccardo Fontana believes on deontological ethics.Deontological ethics or deontology refers to the method of applying ethics by way on what actions are right or wrong, no matter whether the consequences would right or not. This ethical principle is sometimes referred to as obligation or debt instrument ethics. These are the reasons why I believe, Father Riccardo Fontana tried his best to alert the Pope, make a difference or bring the Jews help from the Vatican until now if it mode to sacrificing his own life for the sake of duty. If I were Father Riccardo Fontana, I would also inform or alert the Vatican, particularly the Pope.I would seek his care regarding the genocide of Jews and strongly emphasize my point that it is wrong and basal. I would let them see that as priests, we should do our best to preserve life and peace all throug hout the world, despite the differences in race or ethnicity. I would stand for the right of my fellow Jews, especially for their right to live. However, un wish Father Riccardo Fontana, I would seek or provide other kinds of help if all of the previous acts fail. I help the Jews by hiding them from the Nazis and I impart ease their pain with my prayers.Subsequently, I bequeath continue my efforts to make the administration do their part. I will not have myself killed, not for self-loving reasons, but because I know that dying wont crystallize anything. If I die, I would no longer be able to help the Jews or the take ony. If I die, I wont be able to streng therefore their morale and keep their spirits and hopes high. On the other hand, Kurt Gerstein, played by Ulrich Tukur, is a real character or individual, greatly habituated to his duty as a soldier and spiritual beliefs as a Protestant. He is a German SS officer on board the Waffen-SS during the World War II.He is also an intelligent scientist and member of the Institute for Hygiene who essential the gas Zyklon B for treating or curing the waters drank and used by Nazi soldiers. As a scientist, hygienist and developer of the Zyklon B, he only wanted to counter illnesses or the spread of diseases among the Nazi troops. Unfortunately, Zyklon B was used to exterminate the Jews. raised(a) in a family of patriotic officers and soldiers with strong sense of responsibility, his obedience or compliance to authority cannot be doubted. However, after learning this horrible truth, his determine as a Protestant dominated his sense of patriotism.He alerted the Protestant leaders, then the authorities, Swedish diplomats and also the roman letters Catholic Church about the immoral acts committed by his superiors. He took actions similar to what Father Riccardo Fontana did and just like the efforts of Father Riccardo Fontana, Gersteins efforts were in awe. Conversely, I am convinced that he believes the same e thical principles as Father Ricardo Fontana. If I were Kurt Gerstein, I would head start try to reach a higher position in the Nazi party. I will do my best to reach that position as soon as possible because time is of the essence.After having power or authority, I would instantly see to it that the officers under my authority would provide help to the Jews. I would do this secretly or behind the radar of my superiors so that I can still have my power and my life for the service of those who are suffering. With my power and my life, I will provide more help or make more things morally right. Pope Pius xii, the most controversial character in the movie, is subjected to allegations of preserving his selfish-needs, economic interests, ambition and power by doing nothing regardless of knowing the horrible truth at the Nazi concentration camps.In this sense, allegedly, the Pope and the Roman Catholic Church in extension, committed passive sin. Somehow, ceremonial the movie had made m e scrutinize or contemplate on the creed and hope that I had for the Vatican or to the Pope. Putting myself in the shoes of Kurt Gerstein and Father Riccardo Fontana made me doubt that the apparitional authorities are not morally upright. However, considering the position of the Pope, I reclaimed my belief that he did not do anything wrong and that he only wanted greater good for a greater number of individuals or Jews in particular.As a prominent and religious leader, every action should be seriously weighed and the interests of those who are in need or prosecuted should be considered in order to prevent further impairment done to them. Alerting the international public would disrupt the allegiance of the Vatican and the Nazi party and spark more tension. If the allegiance is lost and the Nazis are angered by the public statement or expose of their immoral acts, will the Vatican be able to address the retaliation of the Nazis? How can the Vatican keep Jews, provide food and she lter in chapels if the angered Nazis destroyed the Catholic chapels? volition the public statement improve the situation of the prosecuted Jews? Will it stop a possible war? I dont think. This is due to the detail that the Nazi party has great military power at that time to retaliate to any threat or opposition. Public protests against this inhumane party would only increase prosecution, not only of Jews but also Roman Catholics and that would be further agonizing. I think that as a religious leader, a morally upright Roman Catholic and diplomat, Pope Pius XII did actions behind the eye of the public to help the Jews.I believe that Pope Pius XII believes in utilitarianism and because of this. Consequently, he suffered the pain of doing nothing because he knew that the consequences would be right or provide greater good. Conclusion Father Riccardo Fontana, Kurt Gerstein and Pope Pius XII are three interesting characters with varied perspectives when it comes to what is right or wron g. Father Riccardo Fontana and Kurt Gerstein believed in fulfilling their moral obligations enchantment Pope Pius XII believed that the end justifies the means.The first two characters believed in doing things now and in considering consequences later while the third character was thinking of the consequences first before making an action. Somehow, I believe that the Holocaust or the genocide of millions of Jews in Nazi concentration camps, considering these two opposite ethical principles, is a dilemma. It is a dilemma where I believe, Pope Pius XII did the best choice. Works Cited Costa-Gavras, dir. Amen. Perfs. Ulrich Tukur, Mathieu Kassovitz. Kino International, 2002.

No comments:

Post a Comment